Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Plant Update

Pic courtesy of diglloyd
The Fuyu Persimmons Tree

This weekend I was out of town and very anxious because I wasn't working in the garden. It's weird how I feel this way but I am afraid that if I leave the place, everything will go to hell. However all is well and everything is alive...or is it?? This winter I planted A LOT of plants. Some are doing well while others seem to be struggling. I have major issues with the juniper trees. They don't seem to work for me...partly because I don't think they get enough sun. I've been re-evaluating it and considering something more productive for the property corners. Perhaps several orange trees?

Roses are starting to put out blooms and they look wonderful. I did spot several aphids and clean them off. However someone is picking the flower petals off and just leaving the stem. I was a bit pissed....I don't know why as the rose buses are for everyone....but that's just it...they are for EVERYONE!! They need to be clipped, etc, but still.....people shouldn't be picking them yet. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post soon. They are quite beautiful.

The Red Baron Peach tree is doing alright and seems to look normal, but it hasn't leafed out too much. The lilac bushes haven't done much. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I'll hold out for them a bit more to see if they will grow.

The castor beans. Several have sprouted while others have not...I am waiting for more to come up....so I am crossing my fingers. The elephant ear bulbs or caladiums STILL have not popped their little heads.....and speaking of no budding, my persimmons tree has popped a single bud. The plums, nectarines, apricots, peaches, apple, and fig have all started leafing out, but not the persimmons. Temps have been in the 70's and mid 80's with lows in the upper 40's to lower 50's.

My ash tree looks amazing and the verbena are so vibrant and purple....it just sprawls and looks amazing. An oleander bush almost fell over so I put a stake up to keep it in place. The bamboo has yellow on the leaves but that is normal for this time of year....soon this stuff is going to start shooting up.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!