Sunday, May 30, 2010

Termites and bees

Gulf Fritallary. Food: Passion Vine
Giant Swallowtail Food:Citrus Trees

Southern AZ Hummingbirds
Smoke Bush Red Baron Peach Tree Brown Turkey Fig/Afghan Pine that started from a tiny Christmas Tree Buddha's Belly Bamboo Chitalpa and Jacaranda Tropical Oasis Tropical Oasis
Bees in the wall.
This week started off hot and warm. We hit our first 100 degrees which means we need to be watering our plants every several days compared to the once a week schedule. I planted several things....Mexican bird of paradise and a creeping fig. I have more plants to add but I am taking my time. It's brutally hot out there and mornings or early evenings are the only time to be working on digging holes.....everything seems to be growing and doing well. The shocker this week was the discovery of termites and bees. I have a video showing the bees making one of the units home between the walls....that is very scary. Hopefully we'll have a bee company out that will be able to take care of the situation. The termites were found in the adjacent building to mine. I actually found them in the wood and collected several in a zip lock bag. The company will have to come out and spray the window ledge. We have a lot of rotten wood around our property but no movement to replace that old wood so I fear that more and more, the wood is going to continue to be eaten and be a danger for residents. Other than that, there wasn't much going on. I have noticed the mosquitos....they are back.
Hummingbirds are all over the place nesting....several pics have been included as to what kinds of birds we see around here. Tucson really is a neat place....and I know that I'm creating a haven for our wildlife. Here are some pics from some of the critters that live around here....I don't have the lizards, but here are the hummers and butterflies. Happy Gardening!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!