Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Black Plague of Roses Part 2


Several weeks ago I wrote about black canes on my roses...possibly canker?  Well I trimmed them back, moved the water hose, and did a little  fertilizing.  Today I went to look and see where they were at...and here is the pic I have of the rose garden.  The left side reports healthy growth while the right side, which had the very black canes, is showing very little growth.  I am going to give it some more time, but my diagnosis of the right side is this....they had less sun and a lot of water causing the canker.  My solution is to pull them if they still are having issues by December and replace them with new roses in January.  At that point, I will keep the water hoses off of all roses and water them by hand.  I think they were overwatered so we'll see what happens in December....stay tuned for the 3rd and final part of the descanso roses:)


3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, you sent me out to look at our roses. We get a lot of 'sucker' growth - is that the right term? But not black canes. Hmmmm.
    Keep on posted on what you pick out come January. Looking thru the rose bins is one of my favorite time wasters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried a hard pruning? Fertilizer with a bit of epsom salt also might help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion....I hard pruned the suckers and they seem to be coming up nicely....but I am worried about one of the plants and the black on the stems....but there is also new growth on this as well:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!