Friday, November 25, 2011

Clinging Closely

Cooper's Hawk
Today I made a fascinating discovery in our garden forest.  For the past few days, the birds have disappeared from the landscape and I couldn't figure out why.  The hummingbirds have been chirping up a storm at El Presidio. And then....a squack!!  squack!!  I walk outside and discover two large winged shadows fly over my head and into our live oak trees.  A dead pigeon lies on the ground and a homeowner stands in awe at Mother Nature's bloody show.  I quickly run and get my camera to snap shots of the action and it's all so incredible to watch.  It is cold and breezy in the Old Pueblo.  We had a light rain storm the night before and everything smells fresh outside.  The mountains, from our courtyard, are still blanketed by the remnants of the passing storm system. I feel like a little kid again with my camera.  AND I don't have to leave my garden to witness it all! The hawks cling to the branches for tactical advantage.  The clouds cling to the mountains and try to stay intact. And we cling close to home to bundle up in our blankets on this very wonderful day off from work.  

6 comments:

  1. great post- and that's a great picture of the mountains, we don't have that here

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful hawk to miss. Enjoy the lovely mountains and birds at your area. Have a pleasant weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic shot! I have been taking pictures of birds lately and I know it isn't that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was amazing! The hawk was so silent that I was shocked when I caught the bird staring back at me. We had a moment and I was lucky to get several pics on the camera. One, birds are the trickiest creatures to get on camera. But I'm finding tricks to it all.....slow.....but learning:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best photos of a Cooper's hawk I've seen, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kathy! I was excited it turned out....birds can be so quick!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!