Sunday, May 13, 2012

Glass Art

I love glass art.  I love watching it being made.  I own all the art that I can inside our small place.  It's secured in areas that gets special lighting and the pieces are unique.  For those of you just joining this blog, you may not be aware that we have 5 little balls of fur that roam our household.  One of them, accidentally during some playtime with her sibling, smashed an expensive piece on the floor.  She was okay and I am glad that she wasn't hurt, but it taught me an important lesson.  Fasten all glassware down around the house.  And so it was done.
On a cold day in Jerome, we went to the warm studios at the Raku Gallery where we watched this art in progress.  There are some things that relax the mind and this was one of them. 
This artist was excellent.  He was direct, no nonsense and full of information on his craft.  Some of his words also held bigger meanings. As a teacher, I liked his style and found him to be one of those straight forward characters that held my attention during his presentation. 
Taking a break from the busy streets of Jerome allowed for some time to just sit down, listen, and absorb.
I have a new appreciation for this art and I had a great time watching this demonstration.  A special thank you for opening your doors to educate us on a beautiful craft.  Demonstrations run throughout the day until around 5'ish. 

14 comments:

  1. What a better way to appreciate the art pieces we buy?
    I discovered the process of Raku firing a few years ago at a Chandler art show, it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its fascinating to watch such a craftsman at work - I watched the glass making process a few years back on the Isle of Wight and its so interesting. Of course, I couldn't resist buying a few pieces :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love glass art. I use a lot of it in my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love glass art too, sorry about the loss. Fur balls will be fur balls, won't they? Chris, I am so impressed by the film you directed. It's very professional, and interesting and enjoyable to watch. cheers, catmint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks catmint, it was fun putting together. They take forever to put together. Once summer begins I'll begin filming more again.

      Delete
  5. a great artform. and that's quite the video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, very informative. I know nothing about glass but appriciate this craft. And yes, the few pieces I have are either nailed down or in a curio cabinet. Funny how cats can jump over a $3 trinket over and over again and never disturb it. Not so for anything expensive. It's a cat thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blowing glass was one of the highlights to my creative life. I learned while living in Bakersfield for 9 months. Never got real good at it, but still have a few pretty pieces.

    Your video is Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I love glassware, and he can do it, I can't. Excellent pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love glass art! I have some jewelry featuring handmade American glass art pieces that I love. With our dogs I've learned to decorate with things that bounce. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool watching the craftsman, I love the glass art too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love glass pieces and am amazed by the craft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, love glass blowing! So beautiful. Like you said, so relaxing to watch as well. I appreciated your comment on my blog when my Mom passed...thank so much!!!

    I am ready now to go find some glass blowing demonstrations in Florida somewhere.....
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! what a video...what a trip...adventures!! you did a great job putting that together!! so many things to see...even a sneak peek of Spock & Kirk! ha! that was great!!

    the glass art! i love that too....one of these days...i'd like to try glass blowing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!