Thursday, August 23, 2012

Looking Back-Boquete

Today concludes this series on "Looking Back-Panama".  Our final leg of the journey was in the cool cool town of Boquete.  We had 3 weeks of extreme heat and humidity along with our hikes.  My body had bug bites all over it.  But here, we found solitude and daily rain with cool to cold temps everyday.  While my travel buddies hiked and did more; I did less.  I pulled out my kindle.  Stayed in my pj's and sat in a rocking chair on a veranda and watched it rain.....and rain.  I think this is where vacation began for me.  But I still had fun.  I love all animals and above this little guy is trying to help me use my camera.  The pic below was from my room.  Window open.  Fresh air coming in......I was happy.
There were plenty of gardens to keep me busy during my mornings but I didn't do much more than that.  In fact the only big committment I made with my friends was the rafting trip on the Changuinola River.  There was a supermarket nearby.  I had a kitchen to use. And I just enjoyed making soup and salads....my favorites:)  But the best part?  Using new veggies that we didn't have back in the states.
The gardens, of course, are in my mind the highlights of Boquete.  Some are free while others charge 2 or 3 bucks.
This garden below was free and had some interesting combinations of flowers, art, and fountains.  It's called Mi Jardin Es Su Jardin(My Garden Is Your Garden).

Most of our journeys were with cloudy and gray skies.  But don't be fooled.  Use sunscreen:) or you'll get sunburn.
The monkeys in the shots were saved from deforestation going on around the country.  Panama, unlike Costa Rica, hasn't done such a great job conserving their last vestiges of pristine rain forest.  The US is, in part, to blame but so are the Panamanian people.  Areas like Coiba Island, The Darien Gap(one of the last unexplored areas of the world), Gamboa, and few parts of Bocas Del Toro are preserved.  But the drug war in the Darien Gap continues and makes this national park a dangerous place to visit.  Columbians are slowly cutting their way into the park for the resources.  Rare species are threatened.  Poaching is involved.  Sometimes a job is botched.  The parent(monkey) is captured but the offspring are left to die.  That's where refuge centers come into play.  These monkeys were friendly but if you've never had monkey friends, be careful.  They smell, they will steal your clothes, they can bite, and they can do some serious damage:)  So know your monkey before you access that inner monkey in you:)
Birds birds birds.  I grew up with them and respect the bird.  Many of the animals and birds trust me and somehow know that I've had some bird training:)  I walked into the cage and this big bird flew on my shoulder and sat there the entire time.  I had rotten banana smeared all over my collar, bird poo, monkey poo, bug bites, and of course major sweat going on during this visit.
I do love critters. My heart breaks everytime I hear, see, or observe this violence by humans towards other living things on TV or around me. Some programs I won't even watch because there is an anger that surges. Why are humans so careless?  Money, selfish needs, and the lack of respect for their environment.  I still can't believe they allow for safari hunts in parts of Africa!  And I'm not going to lie, it is a heavy burden to live with.  Some people call that being sensitive.  I call it a heavy feeling in my heart that I can't erase.  It's been there ever since I've been a child sitting in class learning that things can and do go extinct.  It began with the lecture on the California Condors.  The teacher spoke about dinosaurs and how they went extinct. And then she asked that question.....the one that would rock my world.  "Does extinction still happen?"  Innocence gone. And that would open up more doors and more questions.....
.....but for now, I'm a "have to see it" guy.  It makes me feel more aware and more connected to the greater world.  And as I learn more, the stronger my knowledge about wildlife becomes.
So while I won't find Blue Tanagers or Agouti in Tucson, I am greeted by all kinds of my critters that live here in our Sonoran Desert.  The Central American corridor leads up to our Arizona desert in so many ways as can be seen from the birds that make it up to our mountains and canyons.
Like the Caracara.  This bird has been seen here in the most southern regions of Arizona.  Who knew?

I love this crazy shot of the Capybyra, Caracara and Black Vultures.
Panama, like most places I have visited, was an eye opener.  Here are some highlights from that trip last year.  And that ends the Looking Back series for Panama. More tomorrow....

26 comments:

  1. I saw my only Caracara in Texas. You've so piqued my excitement for Panama. The video is Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am jealous. I spend ages with animals. I prefer them to many humans. They are generally better behaved. Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, sounds like you had a fun trip to Panama. Love the "up Close" shots of you, the birds and the monkey. The Jacobin is beautiful and a great shot. The gardens look gorgeous, wonderful photos. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great photos. Looks like a great place to visit.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Beautiful photos!
    Interesting adventure)

    Have a great day!
    xoxo, Juliana
    [pjhappies.blogspot.com]

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great photos Chris. What a great adventure you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Looking back and my first look makes me want to go. I love subtropical or tropical settings where you can leave the doors and windows open to nature. although I noticed one earlier pic with the mosquito netting.


    On an off topic note, I'm having trouble with videos now. I have Windows 7 and somehow an Adobe Reader update messed alot of folks video viewing up, especially if you use Mozilla Firefox. Gues I'll have to uninstall and reinstall and see what thet does.


    -

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that you enjoy the critters and birds but still maintain a healthy respect of them. so many folks forget they are still wild. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    Very nice to see this beautiful garden. Great with all different animals. Nice to see you with some of them. Very funny!!
    I hope you get your clothes clean of all that poo,..haha..!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Caracara is so pretty and interesting. The gardens are stunning. And the parrot...wow! What a great journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking us to Panama and seeing its beauty through your eyes. I think you show your love and respect for nature in every post and picture you create :) The video was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how you feel Chris it breaks my heart also to think of the cruel and senseless things that humans to to animals. This has been a wonderful trip you've taken us on, loved every minute..the video was brilliantly edited and your love of all creatures shines through strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has been a wonderful series looking back. Thank you...now go wash off the bird poo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post Chris. I love the photos of you with all the birds and monkeys. The video is just brilliant - I felt as though I was there - although I hope you had a long zoom lens when you filmed the crocodile!!! The gardens look beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Preciosas imágenes!!!.. Cuidado con los Titís..A mi me mordió uno.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, love the photos and video!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel as you do when I here of cruelty and violence to our wildlife Chris, there is still much that needs addressing unfortunately :-(

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post Chris, you have some great shots, I especially like the one with you and the parrot - you obviously have a way with them.
    Thanks so much for sharing - I will probably never see some of these animals in real life - so this is the next best thing. :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, you won't be in a hurry, until it is next year, and your holiday again. What abundance that you given to me, the animals, the birds and the scenery, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just loved the video! Great editing! I thought you didn't like snakes? The gator part was really cool.

    P.S the flowy thing is suddenly working again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that as well!! So glad it's back. And I'm not holding the snake;)

      Delete
  21. What a series! The video is wonderful with the huge butterflies and the hermit crabs' nest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh....so glad I read the comments before clicking on the video. :-) Now, sitting on the porch with cool, cold rainy days and a good book is more my style. Heck, I would even take a bad book as long as it was rainy, cool, cold!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hurray, thoday Adobe had an important update and it fixed my video viewing after a couple months of frustration


    -

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also love animals and I'm with you when it comes to violence against them. I don't know how it is possible that all of mankind dont feel the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!